1. Moral breakdown is a phenomenon in which a major degradation or complete loss of moral values takes place within a particular society. The abruptness of such kind of degradation may vary depending on the situation and the events that take place within the given society over a certain time.
2. Moral Breakdown may be caused by the changes in the political and/or cultural changes of the society, conflict or a natural disaster.
3. Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil. — C.S. Lewis, 1898-1963
4. Picking up a newspaper can be a scary way to start the morning: terrorist bombings, guns in classrooms, Terri Schiavo, Enron, politicians lying to constituents and journalists misleading us all. Our gut reaction is to fling open a window and scream, “I’m not going to take it anymore.”
5. It is widely believed that modern society is in sharp decline. Among the ills cited are skyrocketing rates of crime, divorce, teenage sex, teenage births and drug abuse; war (especially in the 20th century); and a general decline in personal morality and religiosity.
6. There is also concern that modern science and technology is leading to a widening of the gap in living conditions and educational opportunities between prosperous first-world nations and impoverished third-world nations. Such concerns are raised by both the secular left and the religious right.
7. Religious fundamentalists frequently pin the blame on modern science in general, and on evolution in particular.
8. Some examples of decline – Out-of-wedlock births and single-parent households. Internet fraud and “addiction”. Crime. It is widely believed that crime, from minor burglary to serious violent offenses, is spiraling out of control. Teenage sex, birth and abortion. It is widely believed that teenage sex and birth rates are exploding out of control. Teenage alcohol, cigarette and drug use. Endless Wars and Proxy Wars waged by powerful, wealthy countries.